Elder Scrolls Online is a multiplayer online RPG that is played by millions of players throughout the whole world. Besides already established fans of previous Elder Scrolls games, there are a lot of new ones that come to try it out. However, one of the biggest problems every new player faces is definitely what character should they start playing at the beginning of their journey. For this article, we decided to bring you our Elder Scrolls Online beginner’s guide, and try to advise you on what should you do at the start of your journey into Tamriel.
Before we start, we will first establish which characters exist in the ESO game, and then offer our advice on which character you should play based on your preferences. Maybe we will show you which builds you should use, but that we will leave for later. We can start now!
Editor’s Note: This guide has been updated to reflect the current state of the game. This is still the recommended guide for new players joining the community.
Table of Contents show
How To Know Which Class You Should Start With?
Which Classes Exist in Elder Scrolls Online?
Which Classes You Should Pick at the Start of The ESO Journey?
How To Know Which Class You Should Start With?
As we already mentioned, picking a class before starting a game is pretty hard, especially if this is the first time you are playing this kind of game. You need to read bio’s, potential builds, and characters’ skill kits but most importantly, you need to think about what would you like to do in the game. This last question is the first one you should answer for yourself. If you like to help your teammates, take a sorcerer that heals and provides utility spells for your teammates. Do you like going insane and charging through the enemies and yelling “chargeeeee”? Pick a tanky character.
When you answer that question, definitely go and check out YouTube videos or articles (like this one) and perspectives of players who were also in your place before starting playing ESO. When you realize your preferences, you managed to solve 90 percent of your dilemmas. After that, definitely read up on your own about the classes and you are ready to start.
Which Classes Exist in Elder Scrolls Online?
Elder Scrolls Online has different lore-friendly classes that you must choose to begin the customization of your character. Every single character has lore attached to their background and before you pick someone, you can read their biography. There are six of them, and further in the article, we will list them all.
These are available ESO characters:
First, we will start with a class called Dragonknight. This class is masters-at-arms, which means they are brawlers but with some magic capabilities. There are three specific class skills you can choose for Dragonknight:
- Ardent Flame – this skill set is good if you want to stun your opponents and deal damage over time.
- Draconic Power – if you want to deal damage and immobilize surrounding enemies, definitely check out this skill. It also provides tankyness if you prefer the juggernaut type of build.
- Earthen Heart – players choose this one to deflect damage, debuffs, and immobilization of the enemies. The tankiest build path in this class.
After that, we have a Sorcerer. This one is the opposite of Dragonknight. Like in most games, Sorcerers are usually used for dealing high amounts of damage or giving support to their teammates. They can summon animals.
They also have three specific skills you can choose:
- Daedric Summoning – this skill provides damage per second and crowd control. Sorcerers damage, interrupt and stun enemies with their pets.
- Dark Magic – if you go this build path, you will get a support type of character, this character removes enemies’ effects and provides ally health and magicka, buffs that enhance teammate’s skills. It can also stun and knock out enemies.
- Storm Calling – this is a damage per second line with the area of effects skills.
Nightblade is a class more suited for stealth-type gaming which can be used for surprise attacks.
These are specific skills you have available for this class:
- Assassination – as the name says, your character becomes a real assassin with abilities like high damage, anti-heal (reduce of enemies’ healing), and an ability to teleport and deal a critical strike to the opponents.
- Shadow – this skill gives you the ability to damage enemies in the area, as well as blinding them, fearing them, and snaring them.
- Siphoning – build path that provides your teammate’s buffs and healing with your character dealing damage over time.
Templar is the next class on the list and it provides a player defensive stats.
Skills that are available for Templar are:
- Aedric Spear – this one is a menace; it provides you the ability to damage enemies over time and you can interrupt and stun enemies.
- Dawn’s Wrath – as the name of the skill says, you will damage enemies with your fire strikes and provide debuffs and buffs for your teammates – Attacking Support line.
- Restoring Light – a true support line with your character being really tanky and providing healing to your teammates. Usually relies on passive skills.
Warden is the next one and is similar to the Templar class. This is a natural type of class that provides you with different natural skills that depend on what skill you pick. A class that can acquire an animal companion. Skills that are available for Warden are:
- Winter’s embrace – if you pick ice, you will be able to slow the movements of your enemies and deal damage over time.
- Green Balance – as the name suggests, green means life and with balance, this skill makes your character great support.
- Animal Companions – you can summon different animals to attack enemies, every animal brings different types of damage.
RELATED:Does Elder Scrolls Online Support Crossplay?
Well, we know what this character can do – Necromancer is using death magic and is focused on reanimation.
These are the skills available:
- Grave Lord (Elementalist) – your Necromancer imbues the dead with natural elements like Frost, Fire, and Lightning and then are used to attack enemies.
- Bone Tyrant (Bone Armor) – when you summon dead you can break them and make shields and barriers with the bonus of extending your life.
- Living Dead (Soul Mending) – you can reanimate fallen teammates and restore their health. True support of this class.
Which Classes You Should Pick at the Start of The ESO Journey?
After playing and watching other streamers take on all Elder Scrolls Online characters, the answer to this question is … Templar. Without a doubt the easiest class to play for beginners. Templar is truly the master of efficiency that uses Puncturing Sweeps to damage the enemies. With the right gear that gives you buffs like cooldown reduction, you can use Templar’s abilities repeatedly and slay your enemies. Do not get us wrong – just because these abilities are used repeatedly in a short period of time, it doesn’t mean that the Templar’s abilities are weak.
They are really strong, and this is another reason why Templar is great for not just beginners but also experienced players. To be fair, tanks in these kinds of games are always a great starting point for any beginner player. They are easy to learn and you can master the abilities of Templar itself, and learn how the skillsets of other characters work. All in all, we recommend taking Templar as your starting character – after some time, if you get bored of it, you can change it and it will be so much easier to learn other characters.
Another great character for the start of Elder Scrolls Online is Sorcerer. Even though it seems like this character can be pretty tough to learn it truly isn’t. Most of the Sorcerers have lightning skills as their base elements and can be vicious in dealing tons of damage to enemies. Sorcerer’s skills are really straightforward if you think about it because you can just move around the area and throw your abilities at opponents.
RELATED:50 Best Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Mods of All Time
As we said earlier, Wardens are not the only class that can summon animals, Sorcerers, specifically, if you go Daedric Summoning build path. You can have two pets that follow you all the time and add another one with the Ultimate ability. The animals also have passive skills that are really important to Sorcerer and buffs it tremendously. Another great starter class that should be considered.
The rest of the classes are not nuclear physics – if you learn the game while playing your starter classes, you will easily master other characters as well. Again, it all depends on what you value and your preferences. When it comes to items, maybe we do a guide for the next article, but until then, enjoy “Games” tab located on our Home page.
Dora is an avid sports fan who started taking interest in TV and movies while attending University of Osijek. Characters, storylines and cinematography is something she started analysing very intensely, which made her respect the art of TV and movies more.
What is the best beginner class in Elder Scrolls Online? ›
The Best Class for Beginners in ESO is the Magicka Sorcerer.
One of the most new player friendly Classes in the game with access to several offensive, defensive and support skills!
Magicka Sorcerer easily takes the first spot as the best solo class in ESO (Elder Scrolls Online). The Magicka Sorcerer is both very easy to learn for beginners and really excels at solo gameplay even with difficult content.Is ESO worth playing 2023? ›
In conclusion, ESO is a worthwhile game in 2023. The game has been around since 2014 but hasn't lost its charm. The game features an entertaining story and exciting gameplay that will keep players occupied for hours on end.What is the new class in Elder Scrolls Online 2023? ›
Just unveiled today as part of the 2023 ESO Global Reveal, the Arcanist is ESO's seventh and newest class. Arriving with the upcoming Necrom Chapter in June, it brings powerful new abilities and mechanics drawn from Hermaeus Mora's realm of Oblivion.What should I do as a beginner in ESO? ›
- Slot many different Abilities and Skill Lines. ...
- Pick up and try everything. ...
- Seek out additional Skill Points. ...
- Find (and eat) food! ...
- Craft low-level gear to fill gaps. ...
- Hit them hard to gain resources. ...
- Upgrade your Bank and Inventory space. ...
- Catch a ride!
- Best classes for healing: Templar, Warden, Necromancer.
- Best classes for tanking: Dragonknight, Warden, Necromancer.
- Best classes for damage: Really, pick whichever feels more appealing to you if you're starting out.
The best race currently for Soloing in The Elder Scrolls Online is Dark Elf. This race is adaptable to nearly any build and situation and offers a good mix of damage and resources. Dark Elf can work for Stamina, Magicka or Hybrid Builds.What is the best solo in ESO? ›
- Magicka Nightblade.
- Stamina Nightblade.
- Magicka Sorcerer.
- Magicka Templar.
- Sorcerer. Magicka Sorcerer. Stamina Sorcerer. Werewolf Sorcerer.
- Nightblade. Magicka Nightblade. Stamina Nightblade. ...
- Necromancer. Magicka Necromancer. Stamina Necromancer. ...
- Dragonknight. Stamina Dragonknight. Magicka Dragonknight.
- Templar. Magicka Templar. Stamina Templar.
- Warden. Magicka Warden. Stamina Warden.
How long does it take to beat The Elder Scrolls Online? The estimated time to complete all 45 The Elder Scrolls Online achievements is 1000+ hours. This estimate is based on the median completion time from 19 TrueAchievements members that have completed the game.
Is ESO 1000 years before Skyrim? ›
The Elder Scrolls Online takes place during the Age of Heroes, 1,000 years before the events of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.Is ESO better than Skyrim? ›
ESO Has Better Presentation
The game's storytelling is considerably more careful and meticulous compared to Skyrim. In addition, the DLC and expansion storylines are very interesting and arguably better than what Skyrim's Dawnguard and Dragonborn DLCs delivered.
To better understand why some Classes are better than other for DPS, you should read the ESO DPS Tier List Guide. Some of the Best DPS Classes right now include the Magicka Nightblade, Stamina Dragonknight and Stamina Sorcerer.Will ESO bring a new class? ›
ZeniMax Online Studios and Bethesda Softworks have revealed today that The Elder Scrolls Online will be receiving some major updates going into 2023. Players will be able to try out a new class along with a gripping new story, Shadow Over Morrowind.Is there a new class coming to ESO? ›
It's confirmed! The Elder Scrolls Online will finally get another new class in 2023 - the Arcanist! This new and powerful class will release in Quarter 2 of 2023 as part of the Elder Scrolls Online: Necrom Chapter update.What is the easiest character to play in ESO? ›
Magicka Sorcerers can play with or without their Pets and in general are easy to learn. When using its Pets, the Magicka Sorcerer can be very Beginner Friendly and one of the easiest Classes to start playing ESO with. Magicka Sorcerers are great for Solo PVE Gameplay as well.Is it fun to play ESO solo? ›
Virtually everything in ESO can be played Solo with the exception of the highest level Veteran Dungeons and of course 12 Player Trials. This means as a Solo Player you can expect to enjoy: Questing and Story Content.Whats the easiest trial in ESO? ›
Rockgrove is one of the more recent additions to ESO and is surprisingly beginner-friendly, although it's recommended players try out easier trials first to get an idea of how to play it.What is the most fun class for solo ESO? ›
Stamina Nightblade is one of the most popular classes to play in ESO, but it's also one of the most challenging to play well, and especially to play solo. While you can cloak up to assassinate single enemies, they will struggle fighting against groups.What is the strongest solo class in ESO 2022? ›
- #8 Stamina Warden | B.
- #7 Stamina Templar | A-
- #6 Stamina Nightblade | A.
- #5 Stamina Sorcerer | A.
- #4 Magicka Templar | A+
- #3 Stamina Necromancer | S-
- #2 Magicka Nightblade | S.
- #1 Magicka Sorcerer | S+
Which Elder Scrolls Online should I start with? ›
Khenarthi's Roost is the best starting zone to get acquainted with the Aldmeri Dominion. This area is quite small and has only two available wayshrines (most zones have 10–15), which makes it easy to get around. This is the best route if you want the original starting experience for Aldmeri Dominion characters.What is the best Elder Scrolls to start with? ›
However, if there were one Elder Scrolls game that would be the best entry-level game for the series, it'd probably have to be Skyrim. The fifth Elder Scrolls game was a defining entry for the series, capitalizing on the popularity ganged with Oblivion.Does starting class matter in ESO? ›
Any Class in ESO is great for any role! That's because there are a lot of other skill lines: Weapon and Armor skills, Werewolf, Vampire and so on. But each Class has its abilities and these abilities also have specialization.What is the easiest DPS class ESO? ›
ARROW STORM is an EASY DPS Build with no Trials Gear needed! Perfect for Veteran and Normal Dungeon content as well as getting started with Normal Trials! Focused on range BOW Damage and Animal Companions.What is the fastest way to level up in ESO? ›
- 8 Kill Everything On The Way To Quest Objectives.
- 9 Hit A Monster Already Engaged In Combat Once For Free XP. ...
- 10 Speed Through Quest Text, Refer To The Journal Later. ...
- 11 Daily Rewards. ...
- 12 Use XP-Boosting Scrolls As Often As Possible. ...
How long does it take to beat The Elder Scrolls Online? The estimated time to complete all 45 The Elder Scrolls Online achievements is 1000+ hours. This estimate is based on the median completion time from 19 TrueAchievements members that have completed the game.What is the max level in ESO? ›
Max level for a character is 50. At that point, you start earning Champion Points and no longer gain "levels" or skill points. Champion Points go from 10 to 810, although you can earn higher than that, 810 is the maximum that can be spent on perks.Which Elder Scrolls game has the biggest map? ›
1 Daggerfall (161,600 km)
The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall is the largest game in the Elder Scrolls franchise by a massive margin when ignoring Arena. The specific number is up for debate, but many fans have settled on the Daggerfall map size being approximately 161,600 kilometers.
As players on Reddit say, Skyrim is more Morrowind and Oblivion than ESO. Its other huge pros are more varied dungeons and architecture, better quest rewards, and making decisions. If you are a fan of selecting a specific weapon or spell while fighting with pause – you will love this title.Can I play ESO solo? ›
Virtually everything in ESO can be played Solo with the exception of the highest level Veteran Dungeons and of course 12 Player Trials. This means as a Solo Player you can expect to enjoy: Questing and Story Content.